A long time ago (and I mean a looooooong time ago, like well over two years ago) I released a stat block for an ancient brown dragon. You can see that, as well as my methodology, right here at the jump. At the time I promised to work on the other age categories for the brown dragon, as well as stat blocks for the gray dragon and purple dragon. I swore I’d eventually get it done.
Then, once those finally released, I promised to work on releasing a bunch of metallic dragons from earlier editions of D&D; adamantine, mithril, steel, etc. That, unfortunately, took much much longer than it should have. Years longer, I’m sad to say. There’s a lot of reasons for this, and then 2020 ended up kicking my ass a lot more than you’d expect even with a global pandemic going on.
But I did, finally, finish.
So in… “celebration” of what shouldn’t have been such a massive accomplishment, I’m re-posting the Draconomicon on The Arcane Athenæum in a new article. Download it at the jump.
Anything I release through The Arcane Athenæum for D&D will be available completely for free, though you can donate to any project I upload at the “pay what you want” price on DMsGuild if you’d like. The exception is, well, this particular document; you can’t purchase it for any cost at all for important legal reasons. I prefer DMsGuild for one simple reason; it lets me see how many people like the product, how many have downloaded it, and gives you (the customer) easy tools to rate and critique it. But if you dislike DMsGuild for one reason or another, feel free to download from any other provider.
Version 3.1 02Aug2021
- Added the change shape feature to the Adult Adamantine Dragon, which was missing it.
- Fixed some mathematical mistakes for the Cobalt Dragons and Steel Dragons.
- Following WotC’s recent examples, added the proficiency bonus for each stat block in the stat block itself, next to the CR for the creature.
- Fixed some general formatting
Version 3.0 18Mar2021
- Updated with 7 new metallic dragon species; adamantine, cobalt, iron, mercury, mithril, orium, and steel.
- A few of the existing dragons have had their stats slightly tweaked.
- The Character Options at the end of the document have been updated to include the new dragons as further potential choices.
Version 2.01 12Mar2019
- Formatting issue on page 3 for the Young Brown Dragon was addressed.
Version 2.0 02Feb2019
- Document has been updated with the new formatting and cover image typical of our products.
- After some consideration, I’ve decided to make this “The Draconomicon”, no subtitle. This means that, when the metallic dragons and elemental dragons are ready for release, this document will be updated with those pages rather than making a new document. I simply think that will be a cleaner, easier method for everyone.
Version 1.3 05Sep2018
- With the changes to Draconic Adaptation now granting darkvision for all dragon shamans, the exact wording of the purple dragon’s Draconic Adaptation has been altered.
Version 1.2 12Jun2018
- Fixed a few typos and mistakes in some of the stat blocks.
- Changed the Player Options to reflect the new changes to the Dragon Shaman (now a full class instead of a Barbarian subclass), and providing an alternate option for Brown Dragonborn due to their lack of energy resistance.